At Boutique Dental 23 we provide fluoride for 3 to 15 year olds every 3 months. Fluoride is a varnish that is applied to the teeth by one of our qualified fluoride application nurses. This is a quick and painless treatment and It works by strengthening the tooth enamel, making it more resistant to decay.
How does fluoride protect teeth?
Fluoride disrupts the process of tooth decay by:
Changing the structure of developing enamel, making it more resistant to acid attack – these structural changes occur if a child consumes fluoride during the period when enamel develops (mainly up to seven years of age)
Encouraging better quality enamel to form that’s more resistant to acid attack
Reducing plaque bacteria’s ability to produce acid, which is the cause of tooth decay
Dental advice for children
- Children up to three years of age should use toothpaste with a fluoride level of at least 1,000ppm (parts per million).
- After three years of age, children should use toothpaste with a fluoride level of 1,350-1,500ppm. The level of fluoride can be found on the pack.
- Children should be supervised when brushing their teeth until about seven years of age.
- The amount of toothpaste your child uses is important. Up to the age of three, a smear of toothpaste is sufficient, and from age three to six, a pea-sized amount is recommended.
- Encourage your child to spit the toothpaste out after brushing their teeth rather than swallowing it.
Your dentist will be able to answer any further concerns or questions about caring for your child’s teeth.